Notes for running in the brake discs | HELLA PAGID
After mounting the new brake discs and pads, the friction surfaces of both components need a certain time to adapt to one-another.
In order to guarantee a safe and trouble-free function of the wheel brake, it is necessary to match the friction surfaces to one-another by running-in the brake.
If these components are not braked-in correctly, undesired material transfer and uneven distribution of deposits may occur on the friction surfaces. This may lead to unpleasant vibrations or noises. In order to avoid unnecessary complaints, we recommend the following running-in and assembly notes for this reason.
During the running-in time, observe the following notes in all cases.
- The running-in procedure should only be carried out on road sections that permit these manoeuvres to be carried out in a safe manner.
- The running-in should be carried out with a delay that is adapted for usual road traffic by heating gradually without thermal shock.
- The first braking procedures should be carried out gently and carefully from max. 50 km/h.
- Then carry out several braking actions from medium speed.
- Between the braking cycles, it is essential to allow the brake discs to cool using the airstream.
- Finally, allow the brake system to cool down using a moderate driving style.
- Avoid unnecessary hard or continuous braking to achieve a quicker adoption.
Notes on coated brake discs
Coated brake discs are painted with a weather and temperature resistant top coat in different processes. As these are applied to the friction ring of the brake disc, the following must be observed during the running-in period.
- During the first braking actions, grinding noises or an uncritical slight development of smoke may occur during the removal of the coating material.
- After being run-in, the friction surface must be bare bright metal.
- The coating material removed in front of the brake pad does not have any influence on the further braking behavior.
- Please also observe the maintenance and repair notes provided by the respective vehicle manufacturer in this context!
- To ensure that safety is guaranteed in road traffic by the optimum function of the brake system, we recommend that it is "run-in" before being supplied to the customer.
- If it is not possible to run-in the brake system in the day-to-day workshop activities, inform your customer as necessary.