If a customer complains about the above error, this could be caused by air that has entered the steering system. The noises are produced by cavitation and occur during the cold start phase in particular. These complaints can usually be resolved by using a special oil. In this case, proceed as follows:
- Drive the vehicle onto the platform and raise the vehicle.
- Drain the power steering pump oil from the steering system.
- The power steering pump oil reservoir must also be replaced in 1.9 JTD 16V and 3.2 JTS engines.
- Turn the steering left and right 5 times to the outer limit.
- “Flush” the steering system with new oil (Tutela GI/R, ISO VG 22, stipulated by Alfa Romeo).
- Then fill the system with the required quantity.
- To vent the system, start the engine and rotate the steering left and right 5 times to the outer limit.
- If necessary, top up the hydraulic oil.
- Check the steering system is air-tight.
Important safety notice
The following technical information and tips for practical use have been set up by HELLA in order to offer professional support to automotive workshops in their daily work. The information available here on this website is only to be used by appropriately trained specialist staff.
The reprinting, distribution, reproduction, exploitation in any form and disclosure of the contents of this document, even in part, is prohibited without our express written approval and indication of the source. The schematic illustrations, figures and descriptions are for explanation and presentation of the document text and cannot be used as a basis for installation or design. All rights reserved.